The first and foremost point to remember is that you should capitalize the names of months.
Abbreviate: You can abbreviate the following months.
• Jan., Feb., Aug., Sept., Oct., Nov., and Dec.
These months can be abbreviated when a specific date (figure) is mentioned. Otherwise, you should spell out the whole word.
• It’s Feb. 3
• Today is Friday, Feb. 3, 2017
• My favorite month is November.
Don’t Abbreviate: You cannot abbreviate the following months.
• March, April, May, June, and July. For example, June 10, May 15, etc.
Important Point to Remember:
If you are referring a month with a year (i.e. no specific date) then, none of the month should be abbreviated. Plus, you don’t have to set off commas with the year.
• It’s February 2017.
• Waiting for October 2018.