Have you ever heard about the various terms for meals? There are a few common words that English speakers use only for meals. Sometimes, these words may cause confusion. People might use them confusingly. For instance, I have heard many people using the term ‘dinner’ for ‘supper.’ This is the reason that I am coming up with the case dinner vs. supper.
I will discuss the differences between dinner and supper. I will also provide you a few example sentences using both of these words.
Dinner vs. Supper – What is the Difference, Definition & Meaning?
Is it dinner or supper?
People often get confused between the terms ‘dinner’ and ‘supper’ because both of these words are so closely related to each other. Both words refer to meal but you should not mix them up; dinner and supper has slightly different meanings that keep them apart. Let me define them one by one.
Dinner is used as a noun within a sentence. It is used to refer to the meal that is served in the evening or midday. It can also be used to refer to a special gathering of many people to have a large meal.
- My friends have planned to arrange a great dinner at a five-star restaurant.
- I managed to make five different dishes for yesterday’s dinner.
- My favorite thing is to have a big dinner with friends and talk about life. (Carla Gugino)
Supper is also used as a noun within a sentence. It is just used to refer to an evening meal consisting of quite lighter or informal meals.
- My friend asked me for a supper before going out because she always feels hungry at market.
- I need a grand dinner instead of supper because I am very much hungry.
- The best way to live is by not knowing what will happen to you at the end of the day, when the sun goes down and the supper is to be cooked. (Donald Barthelme)
Got the Difference?
After reading the definitions of dinner and supper, I came to know that a dinner may refer to a formal meal and a supper is an informal one. People arrange a dinner in a tremendous way, usually, at restaurants, hotels, or at homes in which there can be a lot of heavy meals.
On the other hand, a supper is a very light meal which is not as grand as a dinner. It is such a light meal which is taken only in the evening at homes. Unlike supper, a dinner’s time can be arranged in the evening or at midday.
Dinner = Formal + Heavy meal
Supper = Informal + Light meal
Though, dinner and supper are both related to meals but they are not interchangeable. Dinner is used to refer to a tremendous meal which is properly arranged to have in the evening or at midday. It is a special formal gathering of people. Unlike dinner, a supper is an informal meal, usually, taken at homes only in the evening and consisting of only light meals.
Also see diner vs. dinner