It is very important for the writers to completely avoid grammatical errors. One of the grammatical errors is a comma splice, which has to be carefully observed and corrected in order to make an efficient publication.
In simple words, when you join two independent clauses with only a comma then, it can be turned into a comma splice.
1. My sisters will go to the palace in the morning, they should come back by 9:30 p.m. (Incorrect)
The above example sentence is a perfect example of a comma splice. The two sentences are independent sentences that are joined with a comma. This is absolutely incorrect. One cannot join these two independent sentences with only a comma.
How to Fix this Error?
Do not get worried!
You can easily fix a comma splice by following each of the below strategies.
1. You can simply add a semicolon, which is a punctuation mark. For example,
• My sisters will go to the palace in the morning; they should come back by 9:30 p.m. (Correct)
2. You can add a conjunction with a comma to make it an error-free sentence. For example,
• My sisters will go to the palace in the morning; and they should come back by 9:30 p.m. (Correct)
3. In the same way, you can also split this sentence into two separate sentences to make it grammatically correct. For instance,
• My sisters will go to the palace in the morning. They should come back by 9:30 p.m. (Correct)
Now, to test yourself, identify those sentences that contain a comma splice.
1. Before I start the lecture, I want to introduce myself.
2. I needed to go to the market, I went out early in the morning.
3. The students have prepared their projects, they are really fast in work.
4. I am not happy about his work, so I am going to reject his entire project.
5. Whenever you will apologize, I will definitely work with you.
6. My sister loves to make handmade jewellery, she just tried a new design.
In the above sentences, you can see comma splices in 2, 3, and 6.
Apart from 2, 3, and 6, the rest of the sentences are grammatically correct sentences. In 1 and 5, you can see subordinate clauses. On the other hand, in 4, there is a conjunction ‘so’ used to link the two clauses.
So, a comma splice should be fixed up in order to make writing grammatically correct and organized. A comma splice occurs when two independent clauses joined together with a comma, which is completely incorrect.